Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy new year 2066 !!!

The nepali new year is today. You couldn't tell cause nobody does anything special but we just say happy new year to everyone.
Today we went to Patan, another town in the kathmandu valley, really nice newari architecture, wooden frames and beautiful carvings. Lots of temples and courtyards. It's like a giant maze. We found a cool walking tour to do, got lost a little but it was fun.
And I had the wonderful idea to go to the zoo. Yeah. Never again. How can I describe the zoo... First, it is the one and only zoo in the country (quite unbelievable since they have elephants, monkeys and a lot of other stuff hanging out on the streets), then today is new year so a national holiday. I think about half the country decided to go to the zoo with us. Getting the tickets was about 10 times worse than getting a drink in a packed NYC bar ( I know most of you will relate to that lol). The animals looked so sad and their "natural environment" was made out of concrete and the crowd...the crowd was just unbelievable. Unbearable. We didn't even finish it. I don't think anyone could see anything and I wouldn't be surprised if I read in tomorrow's headlines that someone died from being walked over. Never seen that many people wanting to see a sleeping and hiding tiger. Then again, we are here for the experience and getting plenty.
Tomorrow we are leaving to go to Baktapur, a traffic free city, that should give some rest to my lungs cause kathmandu is becoming a little much. You can actually see the smoke and dust that you breathe. Scary.
I'll keep you posted.
Kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment