Hello all.
I finally reached Kathmandu. That goes without saying the journey was insane. About half way from pokhara, there was an accident, a truck carrying onions had fallen over, therefore blocking the road, or should I say the "road". Both sides were stuck and our bus was stopped about 5kms (9 miles) from the crash. Adventurous as we are we took our bags and walked all the way to the other side of the truck. Mind you, it is 12.00, about 90 degrees and the bags are heavy.
Nepalis have quite a way of dealing with those things, that means trucks kept coming all the way to the crash but nothing was being done so it just made it impossible for anyone to turn back. We got to jump on the roof of a bus and waited for about 2 hours for it to move. We eventually got to kathmandu only 5 hours later than planned.
After a nice meal we discovered that kathmandu, although the capital of the country, has power cuts every day, for 8 hours. Imagine walking in a city and suddently everything goes black. Well it is that, every day. Flashlights are quite handy.
The city is beautiful, very busy, very polluted and the roads have to be shared with pedestrians, bikes, cows, cars and about every other living thing. It is something.
Right now I am writting from Boddah, about 30 minutes from central Kathmandu, where a huge temple is built.It is gorgeous. Everyone has to move clockwise so it is very funny to watch.
I got blessed by a monk earlier, he prayed, gave me holly water (I seriously hope it was holly cause my intestin would not survive otherwise) and a silk scarf to bring me good luck.
This country is so spiritual. Buddhist monks are all over. I really want to assist to a morning prayer, at 5.30 am.
Anyway, I think that is it for today. The power might cut out anytime so I'd better send this.
Lots of love,
Izzy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment